DAZU - a charity that supports young carers
11 October 2017 (by admin)
Please click here to find out more
A young carer is a child who regularly helps to look after a family member who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or an addiction problem.
Children may engage in:
● Practical tasks (cooking, housework or shopping)
● Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs)
● Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs)
● Managing medication, collecting prescriptions
● Looking after younger siblings
● Helping someone communicate
For some young carers, school can be a place where they can forget about their caring roles but also somewhere where they feel people may not understand what life is like for them at home.
At George Spicer, we are aware that some children have these responsibilities and are here to support them with the help of DAZU, a charity that supports young carers.
If you would like to speak to somebody about how we can support your child, please contact Jenny Masini, Young Carers School Operational Lead or any of the Learning Mentors in our school. All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.